NQ ESOL for Work Level 5
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Please note, applications for this course open on 9th April 2024.
Edinburgh College is one of the largest year-round providers of English Language courses in Scotland. All College Based ESOL classes are accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK.
This course will teach you the language skills you will need to manage your career in Scotland or to apply for further study. You will develop general language skills for speaking, writing, listening and reading and work on your grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. You will learn about the Scottish workplace and do a two-week work placement to improve your chances of changing your job and progressing in your career. In addition to ESOL, you will have the opportunity to improve your IT skills and study Business and Tourism. You will do a lot of learning in pairs and groups but will also be expected to work independently through self-directed study.
This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45). Please note these courses are for applicants whose first language is not English.
The average class size is 18 – 20 with a maximum of 23. You must be aged 16 or older to study ESOL courses in college.
Support for students aged 16 and 17
All 16 and 17-year-olds are given a 24-hour emergency number.
Information on ‘Keeping yourself safe in Edinburgh’ is provided at induction. A tutorial system is in place for students to discuss progress or any problems with their teacher.
Students are supervised in class, on class trips/activities, and during work placements.
Parental consent is required for class trips and work placements. Outside these hours there is no supervision of 16 and 17-year-olds.</What you will learn
- English language skills of speaking listening reading and writing
- You will develop grammar at an upper-intermediate level
- You will extend your vocabulary at an upper-intermediate level
- SQA units in Business, IT and Tourism (Level 5)
- Careers guidance
- Preparation for work SQA work experience unit (Level 4)
- Work placement
You will do a six-day work placement in a field close to your chosen career field in order to gain essential and hands-on experience in your industry.
How the course is assessed
- This is a bursary course, and you are expected to attend 100% of the course
- There will be regular assessment tasks throughout the course to monitor your progress, including National 5 coursework assessments, which test reading, writing, listening and speaking
- The Prelim exam in February will prepare you for the final exam in May
- You will also complete evidence in portfolio or presentation form for the Business Management coursework and the Work Placement unit
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (17 hours)
You should have a clear idea of your future study or work plans
International students (students from outside the UK without Settled or pre-settled status excluding asylum seekers, refugees and Humanitarian Protection Status) will need to check visa requirements. Please go to the International section of the website.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
You will be invited to attend a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
English Proficiency RequirementsSQA ESOL National 4 or equivalent
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progress to mainstream college courses at NC or HNC
- NQ ESOL for Study Level 6
- Self-employment or further training
ESOL Price List
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.