Playwork SVQ Level 3
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Part time
Duration 52 weeks
Course enquiry form
The SVQ Playwork course is a workplace based qualification designed for those who are currently employed in a playwork or childcare setting. The role of a playworker is to support all children and young people in the creation of a space in which they can play. The Playwork Principles define play as:
“A process that is freely chosen personally directed and intrinsically motivated. Children and young people determine and control the content and intent of their play, by following their own instincts, ideas and interests, in their own way for their own reasons.”
Current theories from early learning and playwork focus on the ways that children develop resilience and self-confidence through self-directed play opportunities. You will be assigned an individual assessor who will observe your work practice and support you throughout this qualification.
The course will take place over 18 months and will include a range of different learning opportunities: classes tutorial sessions, online learning and research, reflections and tasks. On completion, you will be eligible to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) as a practitioner.
What you will learn
- Current Playwork Theory and Practice
- How to Encourage and Support Self-Directed Play
- Safeguarding Children and Young People
- Children’s Rights
- Health, Wellbeing and Resilience
- Inclusive Practice
- You are required to be in employment in a setting that offers self-directed play opportunities for children and/or young people
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through reflective accounts, observations, tasks and questions
- You will be assigned an assessor who will visit your workplace to undertake observations of your practice
- You will be assessed by a portfolio of evidence measured against national standards of competency.
Number of days per week
- One two-hour class per month
- A minimum of two Highers (one of which should be English) or pass in a relevant NC at SCQF Level 6 or SVQ level 2 in Playwork or SVQ Level 2 Children’s Care Learning and Development/Social Services Children and Young People.
- Or a qualification at or above SCQF 6 that demonstrates ability in research, essay writing and reports, together with experience of working with children.
- You must be working within a playwork or childcare setting in an appropriate role.
- If you do not have the entry requirements but you have significant experience of working with children you are welcome to apply. Please detail this in your personal statement.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be invited to attend a group interview
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
- SVQ Level 4 in Playwork
- PDA Childhood Practice at Level 8 if you progress to a senior role within your workplace
- Registration with SSSC as a practitioner within a playwork or childcare setting
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||05/10/22||52 Weeks|
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.