Playwork SVQ Level 4
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Part time
Duration 52 weeks
Course enquiry form
SVQ 4 Playwork is a workplace qualification designed for those working in a senior role in a playwork setting. The role of a playworker is to support all children and young people and create a safe and interesting play area. This could be in an out of school care club, a playgroup or a school holiday provision. The focus of this course is on child-led play that enables children to develop and learn through following their own ideas and interests.
This course will give you the essential knowledge and skills you will need to develop your knowledge and skills. You will be assigned an individual assessor who will observe your work practice in your own work and support you throughout your qualification.
The course will take place over two academic years and will include a range of learning opportunities including attending monthly classes at Edinburgh College, tutorial sessions with assessors and online learning and research. This course can be used as a progression route to the PDA Childhood Practice at SCQF Level 9 for anyone working towards qualification as a manager/lead practitioner.
What you will learn
- Current Playwork Theory: including loose parts, play types and play cycle
- Leadership and Management in a Playwork Setting
- Operational Planning for your Organisation
- Reviewing and Developing Policies and Procedures
- Reflecting on and Developing your Own Practice
- Supporting Colleagues
- Effective Teamwork
- You should be employed in a suitable playwork setting, in a senior role.
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through reflective accounts, observations, tasks and questions
- You will be assigned an assessor who will visit your workplace to undertake observations of your practice
- You will be assessed by a portfolio of evidence measured against national standards of competency
Number of days per week
- One two-hour class per month
- A practice qualification such as the SVQ 3 in Playwork, SVQ 3 Social Services Children and Young People or HNC Childhood Practice
- You must be working within a playwork or childcare setting in a supervisory role
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be invited to attend a group interview to assess if this is the correct course for you
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
- PDA Childhood Practice at SCQF 9
- BA Childhood Practice
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||05/10/22||52 Weeks|
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.