Police Studies HNC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The HNC in Police Studies is a unique course designed by experienced educators in partnership with the local Police. This course aims to give you an understanding of a professional policing environment as well as develop the skills required to operate in such a dynamic and changing sector. You will gain vital industry experience and attend guest lectures from police officers currently on the Force.
This is a hands-on course that will equip you with the knowledge, skills and fitness levels required to submit a successful application to the Police Service or a similar public body or service industry. Upon completion, you will be fully prepared to take the standard entrance tests for entry into Scottish Police Services.
The course may be delivered using a blended learning model. This involves in-class lessons and some classes may be delivered online. You should have access to a PC, Desktop Computer or tablet.
What you will learn
- Scottish Criminal Law
- Scottish Legal System
- IT in Business: Word Processing
- Spreadsheets and Databases: An Introduction
- Police Studies
- Creating a Culture of Customer Care
- Interviewing Skills & Practice
- Communication: Practical Skills
- Exercise Principles and Practices
- Social Science: Research & Methodology
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through the submission of course materials, formative assessments and research tasks
Number of days per week
- 3 full days per week
- Minimum of Two relevant Highers at Grade C or above and a minimum of four National 5s at Grade C or above in relevant subjects, these must include English and Maths or equivalent; other subjects may include Social, Science and Sports based subjects
- Relevant National Qualifications Group Award at SCQF level 6 or above
- Candidates will be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be required to attend a group and/or individual interview and/or a skills check
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum 5.5 IELTS
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Police Officer
- Various jobs in the public service and public body sector
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.