Course enquiry form
Hospitality is a thriving and growing industry with job opportunities continuing to increase. This is a day-release course (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses) aimed at candidates who are already working in a professional kitchen environment. You will prepare food in our industry-standard kitchens and have access to top-of-the-range cooking equipment. Build your employability and teamwork skills as you explore professional cookery subjects in pastries, hot sauces and teamwork. These subjects will allow you to progress in your career and enhance your working abilities in this fast-paced and exciting industry.
What you will learn
- Maintain Health and Safety in Hospitality
- Cook and Finish Basic Poultry Dishes
- Cook and Finish Basic Meat Dishes
- Cook and Finish Basic Fish Dishes
- Maintain and Handle Knives
- Maintain Food Safety in a Kitchen Environment
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Cold and Hot Desserts
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Pastry Products
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Soups
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Hot Sauces
- Work Effectively as Part of a Hospitality Team
- Complete Kitchen Documentation
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed on an ongoing basis through the following methods; open book closed book, portfolios, and practical observations.
Number of days per week
1 day per week over two years (we can be flexible with the day you attend but most candidates attend on a Wednesday)
You must be working in a commercial kitchen to be eligible for this course.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
SVQ in Professional Cookery at SCQF Level 6 on a day release basis.
This course will allow progression in your career and can lead to a promotion at work.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Granton Campus||Part time||29/08/22||41 Weeks||
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.