Professional Cookery SVQ at SCQF Level 6 (Kitchen and Larder)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Duration 41 weeks
£894 - £1008
(see funding options)
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
Hospitality is a thriving and growing industry with job opportunities continuing to increase. This is a full-time course and is also offered on a day-release basis (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses) day-release is aimed at candidates who are already working in a professional kitchen environment.
Within both courses you will prepare food in our industry-standard kitchens and have access to top-of-the-range cooking equipment. You will gain skills in complex meat, poultry and fish preparation and provide menus for our training restaurants. This course will give you the hands-on experience and skillset you need to advance within this fast-paced and exciting industry or to progress onto further study..
What you will learn
- Larder Section: Advanced butchery skills in meat, poultry and fish preparation
- Hot Kitchen Training: Cooking and finishing complex dishes with fish, meat and poultry
- Food safety
- How to maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Team working
- Although there is no mandatory placement requirement for this course you are recommended to seek work experience or already be employed within the catering and hospitality industry to support your studies. Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience.
How the course is assessed
The course is assessed on an on-going basis through the following methods; open book, closed book, port folios, projects, practical observations.
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Professional Cookery City and Guilds Level 2 or equivalent craft qualifications
You will also be considered if you have relevant industry experience
Day release candidates must be employed within a professional kitchen
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
You will be invited into College for an information session and skills test with a mystery basket of ingredients
You will have the opportunity to speak to one of the lecturing staff on a one-to-one basis
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND Hospitality Management
- Assistant Chef and chef de partie in hotels, restaurants, industrial catering and public houses
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks||
|Granton Campus||Part time||29/08/22||41 Weeks||
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.