Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Psychology Higher will teach you how to explore the human mind and behaviour in a range of contexts. This course will show you how to study and explain human behaviour through academic evidence as well as enhance your employability skills. As Psychology is both an evidence and research-based subject, this course will provide you with the opportunity to conduct practical research. This will include working with human participants in accordance with recognised ethical standards. This course is academically challenging and requires the ability to study independently.
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part-time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects.
Course Fees: £326 per subject. Fees will be confirmed when an application has been processed.
What you will learn
- Research: Understand the research process and methods used in psychology and develop the skills needed to conduct and evaluate psychological research using numerical skills and psychological terminology
- Individual Behaviour: Analyse individual behaviour by investigating various topics and how they can be explained using psychological approaches and theories
- Social Behaviour: Examine how interactions with others shape everyday social behaviour. You will investigate psychological explanations for social behaviour and will use research evidence to analyse how the thoughts, feelings and behaviours of individuals are influenced by their social environment
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed by an examination and an assignment
- The examination paper will sample psychological knowledge and understanding from all the units and will also require you to apply your knowledge and understanding to explain human behaviour
- The assignment will require you to plan, carry out and report on your own psychological research investigation
Number of days per week
- 2 classes per week , one on a Tueday morning and one on a Thursday morning at Sighthill campus
- Two passes at National 5/Intermediate 2 level
- It is recommended that this includes English and Psychology (or another social subject e.g. History)
- You should identify clearly the reason for studying your chosen subject in your course application
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
- A variety of HNC/D courses or university with Higher Psychology and other relevant qualifications
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||31/08/21||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.