Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Evening
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This fascinating course will enable you to explain the human mind and behaviour from a range of psychological perspectives. The Higher provides you with the opportunity to conduct practical research which involves working with human participants in accordance with recognised ethical standards. This course is academically challenging and requires the ability to study independently.
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher levels on a part-time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects.
Course Fees: £340 per subject. Fees will be confirmed when an application has been processed.
What you will learn
- Research: Understand the research process and methods used in psychology and develop the skills needed to conduct and evaluate psychological research using numerical skills and psychological terminology
- Individual Behaviour: Analyse individual behaviour by investigating various topics and how they can be explained using psychological approaches and theories. Why do we sleep? Do our dreams have meanings?
- Social Behaviour: Examine how interactions with others shape everyday social behaviour. You will investigate psychological explanations for social behaviour and will use research evidence to analyse how the thoughts, feelings and behaviours of individuals are influenced by their social environment. Who is more likely to conform? Why do we follow the orders of authority figures?
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed by an examination (67%) and an assignment (33%)
- The examination paper will sample psychological knowledge and understanding from all the units and will also require you to apply your knowledge and understanding to explain human behaviour
- The assignment will require you to plan, carry out and report on your own psychological research investigation
Number of days per week
- 1 online evening class per week (three hours per week) which will take place every Wednesday 6pm-9pm
- You will be required to attend on-campus (Sighthill) on the first Wednesday of every month
- Two A/B passes at National 5/Intermediate 2 level
- It is recommended that this includes English and Psychology (or another social subject e.g. History)
- You should identify clearly the reason for choosing to study Psychology in your course application
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
- A variety of HNC/D courses or university with Higher Psychology and other relevant qualifications
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Evening||31/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.