Social Services Children and Young People SVQ 3
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Evening
Duration 52 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is suitable if you work in an early learning or childcare setting offering daycare for children. On successful completion, you will be eligible to register with the SSSC as a practitioner.
You should be involved in planning and providing a range of play and learning opportunities for the children attending your setting. You will work as part of a team to ensure children’s needs are met in a safe and stimulating environment. The course will cover a wide range of relevant topics that are part of your everyday practice.
This is a work-based qualification, you will be allocated an assessor who will work with you to gather evidence demonstrating you meet the required standards.
The course will take place over 12 months and will include a range of different learning opportunities including; attending monthly classes in college, tutorial sessions with assessors, online learning and research
What you will learn
- Theoretical approaches to play, development and learning
- Observation of children & young people
- Legislation, curriculum and assessment
- Child development
- Providing play opportunities
- Creating play spaces
- Safe working practices
- Being a reflective practitioner
- As you are already in employment there is no placement aspect of this course
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed holistically by reflective accounts, observations, tasks and questions
- You will be assigned an assessor who will visit your workplace to undertake observations of your practice
Number of days per week
- One 2-hour class per month in the evening.
- Regular 1-1 meetings with your workplace assessor, at your workplace, at a college campus or online.
- SVQ level 2 Social Services Children and Young People, NC Early Education and Childcare or equivalent
- You must be working within an early learning or childcare setting
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- Your application should give full details of your current job role, your future job plans, any previous qualifications completed and your experience of working with children and young people.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
Possible progression routes include -
- SVQ 4 Social Services Children and Young People
- PDA Level 8 Childhood Practice
- Early Years Practitioner
- Play Practitioner
- Registration with the SSSC as practitioner
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Evening||09/02/23||52 Weeks|
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.