Spanish Advanced Higher
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Open learning
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Spanish Advanced Higher is designed to develop your knowledge and skills in the Spanish language. You will be exposed to the language over a length of time in order to acquire greater fluency, flexibility and accuracy.
This course will expand on what you have previously studied and focus on developing your ability to understand and express ideas and opinions in Spanish as you learn about current affairs and issues from the viewpoint of those living in other countries than your own. The course will improve your ability to read, listen, talk and write in Spanish. Grammar aspects will be studied and you will research and analyse at least two literature or media sources of your choice within the context of the Spanish language and produce a portfolio, consisting of one piece of writing in English of between 1,200 and 1,500 words. You will develop valuable translation skills and be in a great position to study the language further at a university level.
What you will learn
- Develop Skills in Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking within the four Contexts of Society; Learning, Employability and Culture
- Translation Skills
- Essay Writing Skills and Analytical Skills
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through the Advanced Higher SQA exam, which takes place at College, usually in May. The speaking component is also assessed at College, but earlier in the year (usually in March).
Number of days per week
- This course runs online for a total of 36 weeks.
- Tuesday and/or Thursday afternoon, digital classroom (using Microsoft Teams).
- Open learning - Moodle self-study and scheduled Microsoft Teams calls, possible access to digital classrooms if compatible with the timetable
- Higher Spanish course or relevant component units
- Other SQA qualifications in Spanish studied at SCQF Level 6
- If you do not meet these requirements your application will still be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- Interview and test may be required if you have achieved the equivalent of a Higher Spanish qualification
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Further studies in Modern Languages
- This course alongside other qualifications can be used to apply for a variety of university courses
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International business
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.