Step into Care - Lothian Care Academy YPG/NTTF
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Open learning
Duration 11 weeks
Course enquiry form
This is a free 10-week online and practical face-to-face course which will introduce students to a career in Social Care, where opportunities are many and varied. The course has been co-developed with the Lothian Care academy and offers a job interview for full-time and part-time positions with partner social care providers at the end of the course. The course has been designed for those who enjoy working with people, are compassionate, have a sense of fun and are seeking a new rewarding career helping others live their lives to the full.
Participants will be able to work through the learning materials at their own pace, extending their learning through videos and links to further information. A college tutor will be available to provide support and encouragement to ensure participant engagement with all the topics, and to monitor progress.
Students will also attend a number of practical sessions at the new digital care hub, which will allow them to gain valuable hands-on experience.
At the end of the course, participants will have a final online meeting with a tutor who will check their understanding of all topics covered,
Students that successfully complete this course will be offered an interview with a social care provider.
What you will learn
Delivered via the online learning platform RISE, this level 5 introductory course will cover the following:
- Theme 1 Introduction What is Adult Social Care? The rewards of working in the sector and the opportunities for progression
- Theme 2 Use of Self Introduction to value-based care, the importance of good communication and working as part of a team
- Theme 3 Best Practice Duty of care, SSSC, Care Standards, safeguarding and boundaries, infection control, digital-enabled care
- Theme 4 Reflective practice Defining reflective practice and its importance, model for reflection, and learning from effective reflection
- Theme 5 Next Steps Exploring progress and career opportunities, Scottish qualification structure, employers’ views, service users’ views, employment, and further study opportunities.
- Theme 6 Essential practical learning for a career in social care
How the course is assessed
- Via online completion of learning tasks
- A course tutor will be assigned to the group who will deliver weekly group sessions and also offer 1-1 support and guidance for all candidates throughout the 6-week programme, including an exit meeting.
Number of days per week
- Friday mornings weekly online for 6 weeks.
- No formal entry requirements, must demonstrate an interest in working in a care-related environment.
- Please note that this is a free course and there is no fee attached.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progression can lead directly to our full-time Social Care course. Employer links will also be supported for those intending to enter the workplace directly upon completion.
- The qualification provides a route into both social care courses and directly into employment.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Open learning||23/10/23||11 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.