SVQ Level 2 Barbering (SCQF Level 5)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter and work in the Barbering industry.
As you work within our professional salon environment and Barbershop you will gain essential practical experience working on clients and mannequin heads working with high-end product companies such as Wella, Osmo and American Crew during practical sessions on paying clients to enhance your employability prospects further.
Theory classes cover the knowledge required to complete all written work as part of your course. You will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete parts of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone, Tablet, iPad.
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and barbers.
Edinburgh College is not only a recognised Centre of Excellence by Wella; but also houses the Wella Training Studio for Scotland. This amazing collaboration ensures students receive the most up-to-date training in new innovations and techniques within the industry. We recently celebrated the 1st birthday of the Wella Studio at Edinburgh College.
This award is recognised within the industry as qualifying you as a barber. Upon completion, you can progress on to further study - Level 3 Barbering in order to enhance your barbering skills even further.
- There is an additional cost for course kit, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
- Consultation Services
- Health and Safety
- Shampoo, Condition & Treat the Hair & Scalp
- Cut and Clipper Hair
- Cut Facial Hair
- Dry, Style and Finish Hair
- Instruct & Advice on Products
- Work Placement
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme for two days per week (9-4pm)
- NB This is a mandatory aspect of the course
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our Barbershop
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out by, completing open book assignments and invigilated closed book exams
Number of days per week
- 2 days per week (9-4pm)
- 2 days work placement
All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and/or must hold
- Introduction to Level 2 Hairdressing qualification
- Have a minimum of 2 passes at SCQF Level 5 and have a work placement within the Barbering industry
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Applicants will be given a date to attend an information/interview which will involve:
- Group Information session with Q & As
- Face to face interview –where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- Written task – this task will be scored.
In exceptional cases the interview may be carried out via Microsoft Teams or formal telephone interview, where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course, your goals and experience. The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at interview, along with, the written task.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Level 3 Barbering
- You will be qualified to work within the Barbering industry.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.