SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing (SCQF Level 5)
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter into the hairdressing industry.
Throughout the course you will have practical sessions delivering hairdressing services working on clients along with theory classes to give you the knowledge you need to complete the written work and e-assessments required for the course. You will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will work in our salons or studios providing a realistic industry environment and gain essential practical experience working on paying clients with high-end product companies such as Wella which will enhance your employment prospects. Edinburgh College is not only a recognised Centre of Excellence by Wella; but also houses the Wella Training Studio for Scotland. This amazing collaboration ensures students receive the most up-to-date training in new innovations and techniques within the industry. We recently celebrated the 1st birthday of the Wella Studio at Edinburgh College.
This Level 2 qualification will allow you to enter the industry as a junior hairdresser or continue your studies to the next level (Level 3 Hairdressing) to advance your hairdressing skills. You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and hairdressers.
- There is an additional cost for course kit, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
- Consultation Techniques
- Health & Safety
- Shampoo and Condition
- Cutting Hair
- Dry, Style & Finish hair
- Set, Style & Dress Hair
- Instruct & Advice on Products and Services
- Work Placement
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme in for one day a week (9-4pm) from August for the full academic year
Please Note - this is a mandatory aspect of the course
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons, working either independently with your own clients or working as a team member
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out online, you will complete open book assignments online within teams.
- E-Assessments will be carried out on campus invigilated
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (9:00-4:00pm)
- Plus, one evening (4:30-8:00pm)
- One day work placement (6 hours) - this is a mandatory aspect of the course
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and hold:
- the Introduction to Level 2 Hairdressing qualification
- a minimum of two passes at SCQF Level 5 and are currently working as a junior in the Hairdressing industry
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Applicants will be given a date to attend an information/interview which will involve:
- Group Information session with Q & As
- Face to face interview –where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- Skills Test to ensure you have the correct dexterity skills for the course (please see details below
In exceptional cases the interview may be carried out via Microsoft Teams or formal telephone interview, where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course, your goals and experience
- External applicants: - a skills test will be required on a mannequin head in a commercially viable time.
- Internal applicants: - the skills test will be a showcase of your work during Semester 2 of your current course to establish if your skills are at the level to progress
The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at interview, along with the skills test
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- SVQ Level 3 Hairdressing (SCQF Level 6)
- Opportunity into employment within the Hairdressing industry at a junior level or continue with your studies in SVQ Level 3 Hairdressing.
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.