SVQ Professional Cookery at SCQF Level 6 (Kitchen and Larder)
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
Hospitality is a thriving and growing industry with job opportunities continuing to increase. This is a full-time course and is also offered on a day-release basis (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses) day-release is aimed at candidates who are already working in a professional kitchen environment.
You will create menus and original recipes for our training restaurants in the evening. You will also learn to supervise the entire K&L service in a live restaurant. You will gain skills in Complex Meat, Poultry, Game, Fish and Shellfish preparation. We will cover Supervisory units such as Maintain Food Safety in a Kitchen Environment and Maintaining the Health, Hygiene, Safety and Security of the Working Environment. This course will give you the hands-on experience and skillset you need to advance within this fast-paced and exciting industry.
What you will learn
- Larder Section: Advanced butchery skills in meat, poultry, game, fish and shellfish preparation
- Hot Kitchen Training: Cooking and finishing complex dishes with meat, poultry, game, fish and shellfish
- Maintain Food Safety in a Kitchen Environment
- How to maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Develop Productive Working Relationships with Colleagues
- Although there is no mandatory placement requirement for this course you are recommended to seek work experience or already be employed within the catering and hospitality industry to support your studies. Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience.
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed on an ongoing basis through the following methods; open book, closed book, portfolios, projects, and practical observations.
Number of days per week
- 2 days per week
- Professional Cookery City and Guilds Level 2 or equivalent craft qualifications
- You will also be considered if you have relevant industry experience
- Day-release candidates must be employed within a professional kitchen
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited into College for an interview
- External applicants may be asked to complete a skills test
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND Hospitality Management
- Assistant Chef and chef de partie in hotels, restaurants, industrial catering and public houses
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Part time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.