SWAP Access to Arts, Social Sciences and Primary Teaching
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 - 43 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This unique course is specifically designed to allow you to progress to either university or HNC programmes. You will be taught by highly qualified lecturers and study a variety of essential subjects such as Sociology, Psychology, Politics, Communication, Literature, Creative Writing, History and Mathematics.
This is a Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) which means if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if studied Highers in a full-time setting or a Higher National course or similar level) you can apply.
SWAP courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland. For more information on SWAP courses please go to www.scottishwideraccess.org and click on the SWAP East Portal.
Listen to the Industry Insiders podcast on Spotify or Apple Podcasts where a primary teacher talks about her experience in the industry.
What you will learn
- Oral presentations
- You must pass all assessments (including an external National 5 Maths examination for those applying for primary teaching or for some psychology/criminology degrees) in order to achieve the full SWAP Access qualification
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through essays, presentations, examinations and reports.
Number of days per week
- 4 days per week via a hybrid delivery model of online and on-campus delivery
- There are no formal entry requirements, but you must demonstrate that you are ready to study at SCQF Level 6 as the aim of the course is to prepare you for entry into university.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- If selected for an interview you will be asked to complete written assessments in literacy and numeracy to ensure you have the appropriate level of skill and knowledge to meet the requirements of the programme.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Apply to university to study arts, social sciences or primary teaching
- Studying at HNC level in social science or creative industries
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||43 Weeks|
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.