SWAP Access to Engineering
Campus Midlothian Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Access to Engineering NC is a direct route to university. The course is designed to give you the first step towards a career in engineering. The content is mechanical engineering focused and will develop your knowledge and understanding of engineering principles and systems. This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus that will lead to further study of a variety of engineering courses at HNC/D and university degree level.
You will study units such as Electrical Principles and Engineering Design which will enable you to progress to a career in a range of different engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil and renewable energy.
The course is taught by teachers with industry experience using the latest industry technologies. You will be taught between Edinburgh College classrooms and workshops where you will gain essential and hands-on experience in the engineering sector.
Places on the course are very competitive and fill up quickly so if you are interested please apply as soon as possible to ensure you can be considered for a place.
This is a Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) meaning if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level) you can apply.
SWAP courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education. They are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland. For more information on SWAP courses please go to?www.scottishwideraccess.org and click on the SWAP East Portal.
What you will learn
- Electrical Principles
- Engineering Design
- Strength of Materials
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Preparation for Higher Education
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment throughout the year
- No end of year examination
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Mathematics and Physics at a minimum of National 5
- If you haven't studied Mathematics or Physics for some time, then you might benefit from taking a preparatory unit before joining the course
- Adult returners without the Mathematics and Physics qualifications required are welcome to apply but you will need to offer alternative qualifications or prove a real desire to be on the course
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will attend an academic interview to ensure that this is an appropriate course for you and that you can handle the workload
- You may be asked to complete an entry level test which covers numeracy, literacy and comprehension
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Access to the first year of a university degree in mechanical, electrical, renewable, civil or structural engineering
- You can study a range of engineering courses at HNC/D and Associate Degree Level at Edinburgh College upon completion
This course will open career prospects in:
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Renewable engineering
- Civil engineering
- Structural engineering
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Midlothian Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.