SWAP Access to Languages with Business (online)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The SWAP Access to Languages with Business is a full-time course (18 hours a week) running from the end of August to the middle of June. During Semester 1 you will have classes for up to 4 days a week (no classes on Fridays) with some mornings and afternoons off. During Semester 2 you will have classes three or four days a week with further independent study involved.
PLEASE NOTE THAT 2022-23 WILL BE DELIVERED FULLY ONLINE. There will be digital tutorials in real-time using Microsoft Teams.
This course is open to those who are at a beginner level in a language. Previous qualifications or experience in modern languages may be beneficial but is not required. You will study a range of units at SCQF Levels 4 to 7 in order to prepare you for further study at a university level. Language study (French or Spanish) may be combined in different ways depending on previous knowledge of a language and the levels available. We may be able to provide additional units or modify the programme to suit your own progression routes. All units are internally assessed unless external assessments are required to satisfy particular progression routes. In addition to these units, you will attend weekly tutorials, open days and study skills events held by universities and colleges as part of your preparation for higher education.
This is a Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) course meaning if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level) you can apply.
SWAP courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland. For more information on SWAP courses please go to scottishwideraccess.org and click on the 'East'.What you will learn
- Core Mathematics 3 and 4
- Business Management
- Business Decision Areas: Finance
- Business Decision Areas: Marketing and Operations
- Investigating Europe
- Developing Study Skills
- Preparation for Higher Education
How the course is assessed
- All units are internally assessed unless external assessments are required to satisfy particular progression routes.
Number of days per week
- 18 hours up to 4 days per week
- Course delivered fully online using Microsoft Teams
- To be eligible for SWAP, an applicant MUST have been out of full-time education for 3 years if they already have qualifications at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent. Or 5 years if they already have qualifications at least SCQF Level 6 or equivalent
- This course is open to those who are at a beginner level in a language, previous qualifications or experience in modern languages may be beneficial but are not required for entry
- If you do not meet entry requirements your application will still be considered on an individual basis
- If your first language is not English you should hold one of the following ESOL qualifications as proof of English Language competence: IELTS 6 or above; Cambridge First Certificate or above; SQA ESOL National 5 (external examination grade A) or SQA ESOL Higher; other equivalent English qualification e.g. university degree in English
- If you are unable to provide evidence of ESOL level as above you'll need to do the college ESOL level test and any offer of a place is conditional on passing the test
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- If selected for an interview you will be asked to complete written assessments in literacy and numeracy to ensure you have the appropriate level of skill and knowledge to meet the requirements of the programme.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6
Progression and Articulation Routes
Access a wide range of degrees at:
- The University of Abertay
- University of Dundee
- University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh College of Art
- Heriot-Watt University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Queen Margaret University
- University of Stirling
- University of St Andrews
Progress to HNC/D programmes in a further education college. Study other qualifications in modern languages, arts or social sciences.
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International business
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.