SWAP Access to Languages with Business
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The SWAP Access to Languages with Business course is a unique course designed to allow you to progress to a wide range of university courses or HNC/HND programmes. It is a full-time course (up to 18 hours a week) running from the end of August to the middle of June. It is delivered partly on campus (2 days a week) and partly through Microsoft Teams online tutorials (2 days a week).
As a Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) course, it is designed for people with few or no formal qualifications which have been out of full-time education for at least three years ( or five years were obtained when studying full-time).
SWAP courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education by giving you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education. Despite its specific focus on Languages and Business, this course allows you to apply for a wide range of degrees (e.g. English, Law, Finance, Social Sciences etc...) through recognised progression routes to colleges or universities in Scotland. For more information on SWAP courses, please go to the SWAP East website.
This course is open to those with previous experience in either French, Spanish, German or Italian but also those who want to study French or Spanish with no prior language learning experience. Language study (French or Spanish) may be combined in different ways depending on your language profile.
All units are internally assessed unless external assessments are required to satisfy particular progression routes. In addition to the units taught, as part of your preparation for higher education, you will also be given the opportunity to attend open days and study skills events held by universities and colleges.
What you will learn
- Presentation Skills
- Core Mathematics 3 (level 4)
- Optional Core Mathematics 4 (level 5)
- Combination of different language units
- Business Management
- Business Decision Areas: Finance
- Business Decision Areas: Marketing and Operations
- Investigating Europe research unit
- Reflective learning and study skills development
- Preparation for Higher Education and help with UCAS application
How the course is assessed
- All units are internally assessed (through assessments, essays, reports, presentations etc.) unless external assessments are required to satisfy particular progression routes.
Number of days per week
- 18 hours up to 4 days/week
- Hybrid mode of delivery: 2 days on campus (Mondays and Wednesdays) and 2 days online (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- To be eligible for SWAP, an applicant MUST have been out of full-time education for 3 years if they already have qualifications at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent, or 5 years if they already have qualifications at least SCQF Level 6 or equivalent
- This course is open to those with a previous experience in either French, Spanish, German or Italian but also those who want to study French or Spanish with no prior language learning experience.
- If you think you do not meet entry requirements, please contact SWAP East, as your application might still be considered on an individual basis depending on your circumstances.
- If your first language is not English you should hold one of the following ESOL qualifications as proof of English Language competence: IELTS 6 or above; Cambridge First Certificate or above; SQA ESOL National 5 (external examination grade A) or SQA ESOL Higher; other equivalent English qualification e.g. university degree in English
- If you are unable to provide evidence of ESOL level as above you'll need to do the college ESOL level test and any offer of a place is conditional on passing the test
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- If selected for an interview, you will be asked to complete written assessments in literacy and numeracy to ensure you have the appropriate level of skill and knowledge to meet the requirements of the programme.
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum IELTS score of 6 or equivalent
Progression and Articulation Routes
Access a wide range of degrees at:
- University of Edinburgh
- Heriot-Watt University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Queen Margaret University
- University of Stirling
- University of St Andrews
- The University of Abertay
- University of Dundee
Progress to HNC/D programmes in a further education college. Study other qualifications in modern languages or business.
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International business
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.