SWAP Access to Life Sciences
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Life Sciences Access is a steppingstone to further education at a university level. You will develop your knowledge and understanding in subjects such as Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.
This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus. Our Science department offers you the opportunity to study in purpose-built laboratories. These will support the development of your general and specialist practical skills whilst enhancing your theoretical understanding of science.
This is a Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) meaning if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level) you can apply.
SWAP courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland. For more information on SWAP courses please go to?www.scottishwideraccess.org and click on the SWAP East Portal.
What you will learn
You will cover a range of National 5 and Higher-Level subjects such as:
- Information Technology?
- Preparation for Higher Education
All SWAP students are required to participate in and complete Preparation for Higher Education (HE). Preparation for HE will assist you in researching and visiting universities. You will be expected to work as a team and on your own to complete this module
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full award
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Number of days per week
- 4 days per week
- This Access programme is NOT intended for recent school leavers
- You must have been out of full-time education for three years or more and have no/few formal qualifications
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- Entry is by informal interview and a short entry exam. All candidates are interviewed to ensure that the appropriate course is chosen and that the applicant can cope with the amount of work involved.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
A large range of degree courses offered by the universities in East and Central Scotland including:
- The University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Queen Margaret University
- University of Dundee
- Abertay University
- University of St Andrews
- University of the Highlands and Islands
- University of Aberdeen
- For Biological Science students this course can lead on to a range of degree options including Biochemistry, Cell Biology and Microbiology
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||30/08/21||41 Weeks|
College Open Days 2022
If you are considering applying for a full-time course please join us for one of our open events.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.