SWAP Access to Physical Science
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The course will develop your knowledge and understanding of subjects such as Physics, Chemistry and Maths.
SWAP (Scottish Wider Access Programme) courses are designed if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least 3 years (5 years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level).
SWAP Access courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at Colleges or Universities in Scotland.
For more information on SWAP courses please go to Scottish Wider Access
What you will learn
You will cover a range of National 5 and Higher subjects such as
- Information Technology
- Preparation for Higher Education.
All SWAP students are required to participate in and complete Preparation for Higher Education (HE). Preparation for HE will assist you in researching and visiting universities. You will be expected to work as a team and on your own to complete this module.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full award
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Number of days per week
- 4 days per week
- Students should be ordinarily resident in Scotland. Please contact the SWAP East Office at email@example.com if you are not sure about your eligibility.
- Candidates must have been out of education for three years (five years if you have Highers or equivalent) and must not already have a degree. The course is NOT intended for school leavers.
- Students who already have a university degree are not eligible for a SWAP programme. Any applicant who has been to university but did not complete may be eligible if there are special circumstances. Please email SWAP for advice BEFORE submitting an application at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- Entry is by informal interview and a short, Mathematics entry exam. All candidates are interviewed to ensure that the appropriate course is chosen and that the applicant can cope with the amount of work involved.
- Applications should include a strong personal statement that clearly indicates the candidate has researched progression routes and has a clear idea of the degree and career they wish to pursue. Applications may be returned to candidates who do not meet these criteria.
- Progression information can be found at: https://swapsurvey.org/progression/east
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- A large range of degree courses is offered by the universities in East and Central Scotland including:
- Edinburgh University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Queen Margaret University
- University of Dundee
- Abertay University
- University of St Andrews
- University of the Highlands and Islands
- University of Aberdeen
- For Physical Science students this course can lead to a range of Maths, Engineering, Physics and Physical Science degree options at university
- Successful students have access to over 100 degree programmes including Physics, Civil Engineering, Artificial Intelligence and more
A range of science-related careers.
Find out more on the Scottish Wider Access Programme website
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.