Teaching Creative and Critical Thinking
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 10
Study mode Part time
Duration 46 weeks
Course enquiry form
As well as being able to deliver subject matter and skills, teachers have an important third role: cultivating creative and critical thinking capabilities. This qualification is about designing, developing and delivering a flexible pedagogical approach that enables deep thinking skills including creative and critical thinking, metacognition and ethical reasoning, enabling their learners to deeply understand and apply the curriculum – and preparing them for a lifetime of learning.
What you will learn
The qualification will provide skills to enhance a candidate’s performance by considering how they can:
- identify, foster and measure both creative and critical thinking in today’s learning environment
- give their learners the opportunity to solve open-ended, real-life problems which will provide them with explicit and structured experience working in the space of uncertainty.
The qualification will also ask the candidates to:
- explore how teachers can address the mismatch between the demands on teachers to meet everyone’s needs and how individuals learn. Quite often the measuring stick for successful academic learning has led to assumptions about learning difficulties in our learners, so teachers need to change their perspectives on how to meet the needs of those people who learn differently.
- evaluate and implement approaches to optimise the learning progress by introducing flexible, creative and critical thinking pedagogies/andragogy into the learning environment.
Not all learning takes place in a classroom environment and again skills will be needed for teachers to be able to:
- plan, deliver and assess in increasingly creative ways while still being able to meet the robust requirements of academic learning.
- All participants will be current practitioners
How the course is assessed
This is a creative award in itself so assessment has been addressed creatively:
- No lengthy essays to write
- Collaborative learning and assessment
- Evidence occurs naturally as you work through the award
Number of days per week
Delivery of the course is 1 day per week, 1 x 2 hour session from 6pm - 8pm online through Microsoft Teams.
However, this is negotiable depending on cohort.
This qualification has been designed for people who are normally in a career or vocation who want to broaden their skills base and knowledge. Entry to these qualifications will be at the discretion of the centre but candidates would normally be expected to demonstrate competence in the following;
- HND or equivalent
- English at level 6 (Higher or Communication 6).
- Numeracy Skills at SCQF level 4
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Skills at SCQF level 5
- or similar qualifications or experience
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Interview prior to course will be dialogue only
English Proficiency RequirementsThis qualification has been designed for people who are normally in a career or vocation who want to broaden their skills base and knowledge. Entry to these qualifications will be at the discretion of the centre but candidates would normally be expected to demonstrate competence in the following;HND or equivalentEnglish at level 6 (Higher or Communication 6). Numeracy Skills at SCQF level 4Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Skills at SCQF level 5 or similar qualifications or experience
Progression and Articulation Routes
This course could lead to higher level awards or to further prospects in employment.
Successful completion of the course will give the participants a higher level of skill and broaden their capability level making them more employable.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.