Course enquiry form
This course is for people who are interested in taking up a career in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or for people working with ESOL learners. The course covers basic language awareness for the classroom; language learning in different contexts and introduces ESOL methodology. You will gain hands-on experience in the teaching industry through observing an experienced teacher in class and taking part in group activities and discussions. This provides good preparation for initial teacher training qualifications such as Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA). The course also includes the SQA Professional Development Award Introduction to Tutoring ESOL (ITESOL).
The course does not include teaching practice although peer teaching tasks are included in some sessions. It consists of 16 two-hour sessions each focusing on a key area of English Language Teaching or language analysis and includes background information; discussion tasks and activities; practical classroom applications; suggestions for further reading where appropriate.
What you will learn
- General introduction to teaching English to speakers of other languages (including methodology and materials)
- An introduction to the analysis of English for teaching purposes
- Develop awareness of the terminology used in English Language Teaching (ELT) classrooms and materials (in terms of grammar and methodology)
- The course is useful preparation for those intending to take an initial teacher training course such as CELTA or PDA TESOL
How the course is assessed
- Complete a short pre-task in preparation for each session (given one week in advance)
- Write up and submit tasks based on the observation
- Complete four PDA assessment tasks
- Complete a course review form
- Attend a minimum of 13 sessions
Number of days per week
- 1 evening per week (Tuesday 6.30 pm - 8.30 pm)
- Minimum 2 passes at SCQF Level 5
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- There will be a short interview to make sure that the course is the right choice for you.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA)
- Professional Development Award (PDA)
- Trinity CertTESOL
- Progress to initial teacher training course such as CELTA
- Work as a tutor or classroom assistant in an ESOL context
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Sighthill Campus||Evening||30/08/22||20 Weeks||
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher Enrolment Events 2022
Our Enrolment Events are for those wishing to apply for an Advanced Higher, Higher or National 5 course.