Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Textiles HND is an immersive and experimental course designed for you to explore your creative potential. Delve into a wide range of textile skills and enhance your knowledge of the arts industry in Edinburgh College school of art open-plan studios. Your studies will be varied ensuring you will experience all the areas needed to follow a career in the fashion and textiles industry; whether this is working as a designer, an artist or a craftsperson.
You will produce a personal portfolio to showcase your work which will be essential for university applications and be given your very own studio space in the second year of the course to design, develop and create. Live projects throughout the course will give you the opportunity to interact with clients in order to understand, redefine and execute project briefs. HND students will have the opportunity to exhibit their work in prestigious galleries for the general public, industry professionals and future colleagues to view.
What you will learn
- Concept Fashion Design
- Simple Pattern Drafting
- Garment Construction
- Surface Decoration
- Textile Techniques
- Fine Art Textiles
- Textile Accessory
- Printed Textiles and Millinery
How the course is assessed
- This a practical studio-based course assessed by portfolio submission throughout the year.
- Year one: Two Highers or UAL level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year two: Pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level
- You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your advanced art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
Recognised entry to second and third year Scottish 4 year Degree, for example
- ECA Second-year entry
- Grays School of Art
- Napier and Abertay
- Recognised second-year entry to R.U.K 3 year Degrees
- BA (Hons) Fine Art Textiles, year 3 or BA (Hons) Contemporary Textiles programmes, year 3 entry at University of Highlands and Islands
- Various jobs in the retail industry
- Various jobs in marketing fields
Our Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.