UAL Art and Design Foundation Diploma - International with IELTS
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is for international students only. Start the application process by completing the enquire now section and registering your details. We will then contact you to guide you through the international application for this course.
The UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is an internationally recognised qualification, which provides a stepping stone from general education to specialist Higher art and design education across the UK. Our UAL Foundation Diploma with IELTS has been specifically designed for international students who need to raise their IELTS score for applications to Degree level study whilst developing a strong portfolio for UCAS applications. Students who choose this programme will follow the same programme of study as home students but with additional weekly IELTS study throughout the course.
The UAL Foundation Diploma has been designed to encourage exploration, experimentation and risk-taking, which will extend your subject knowledge, critical thinking and practical skills. During this course, you will explore new ideas and creative challenges to develop your confidence and independent learning in four main specialist areas used in contemporary art and design practice: Drawing, Painting and Printmaking, Sculpture, Textiles and Visual Communications. By exploring and evaluating different art and design mediums you will develop contextual research skills and a critical awareness of the contemporary visual world. Our annual study trip to London allows you an exciting opportunity to further expand your research by visiting major Art Galleries and Museums to inspire and contextualise your own creative practice and portfolio.
You will work in a collaborative community within a studio environment to complete challenging assignments within deadlines and attend weekly critical and contextual studies. You will be taught by innovative and experienced lecturers and have the opportunity to engage with creative industry professionals and attend regular progression talks from Universities including the University of the Arts London, The Glasgow School of Art, Gray’s School of Art at Robert Gordon University and DJCAD at the University of Dundee. At the end of your course, your final major project will be presented to the public as part of our end-of-year exhibition.
You will be provided with support and guidance on completing your UCAS application and preparing digital portfolios. Our Employability day and HND open days will enable you to make informed decisions when applying to Higher Education or seeking employment within a related industry.
Edinburgh College was the first College in Scotland to deliver UAL Diplomas and is the only College in Scotland where you can study for the UAL Foundation Diploma. We have a strong reputation for delivering the Level 3 Foundation Diploma for over 20 years and have strong links with UAL and other major Art and Design Schools and Universities across the UK.
In session 20/2021, our UAL Foundation students received offers for progression to HND or Degree-level programmes in their chosen destinations. Below is a small selection of some of the offers received from our UAL Foundation students in 20/2021 to Degree level study across the UK, with many of our UAL Foundation students receiving multiple offers.
- BDes Hons Product Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BDes Hons Interior Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Sculpture and Environmental Art at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Sculpture at Edinburgh College of Art UoE
- BA Hons Painting at Edinburgh College of Art UoE
- BA Hons Art and Philosophy at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design
- BA Hons Fine Art at Central St Martins UAL
- BA Hons Fine Art at Camberwell College of Arts UAL
- BA Hons Communication Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Contemporary Art Practice Grays School of Art RGU
- BA Hons Hair and Make-up for Fashion at London College of Fashion UAL
- BDes Hons Interior and Spatial Design Edinburgh Napier University What you will learn
- Demonstrate awareness of the different perspectives, approaches and ethics within diverse creative practice
- Research, analyse and evaluate relevant information as part of their creative practice.
- Understand, adapt and safely use appropriate practical methods and skills for creative practice and production.
- Explore solutions to complex problems through the application of practical, theoretical and technical understanding.
- Take responsibility for research, planning and time management to access and action progression opportunities.
- Use critically evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for your own learning, development and decision-making.
- Effectively communicate and present ideas and creative practice to appropriate audiences.
- Drawing. Painting and Printmaking
- Visual Communications
- Learning Skills and Context: The importance of drawing in the creative process and introduction to specialist areas of art and design
- Development and Progression: Students specialise in two of the areas whilst preparing for UCAS applications
- Proposal and Realisation
- Final Major Project in one of the four chosen art and design specialisms
- London Study trip – this trip is not mandatory but is highly encouraged and valuable to your learning
- Diploma exhibition
- You will develop the essential critical and evaluative skills required for a successful Degree and HND study by attending a CCS session each week.
- Gain 2 x SQA units to strengthen UCAS applications: Communication (NC) (FA1W12) and Literature 1 (FA5812)
- You will develop your written and spoken English skills required for a successful Degree and HND study by attending a 3-hour IELTS session each week.
- The IELTS component of this course will allow you to prepare for Degree level study and you will have the opportunity to improve your IELTS score to level 6.0 when sitting the IELTS exam at the end of the year. How the course is assessed
- You will receive written and verbal feedback throughout the course on portfolio submissions and in group crits and tutorials.
- You need to pass each part of the course to progress and undertake the extended personal project in part three. Final grades of either Pass, Merit or Distinction are awarded on submission of your final personal project.
- 4.5 days
The aims of the qualifications are to enable students to:
Part one: Diagnostic Investigation into Creative Practice
Part two: Developing Specialist Practice
Part three: Consolidating Practice
Contextual and Critical Studies (CCS)
IELTS for Art and Design
Number of days per week
- Age: 16+ years
- English Proficiency: IELTS 5.0 minimum (no element under 4.5). Students with 5.5 IELTS or above can apply for the UAL Foundation Diploma (However, we recommend International students complete the UAL Foundation Diploma with IELTS as some Degree level courses require an IELTS score of 6.0).
- Qualifications: The international equivalent of 1 SQA Higher plus 4 passes at SCQF Level 5 or BTEC /UAL Level 3 Diploma or SQA NC SCQF Level 6. For example, successful completion of High School (year 11 or year 12 depending on the native country) is needed or 1 x A level or 2 AS levels at grade E or above and 5 x GCSEs at grade 4 or C or equivalent, preferably in a relevant creative subject.
- Visa – as an international student you will need to satisfy UKVI visa requirements
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry into this course
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Interview and Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios, Interviews and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your International application form.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.0 minimum (no element under 4.5).Students with 5.5 IELTS or above can apply for the UAL Foundation Diploma without the additional IELTS.However, we recommend International students complete the UAL Foundation Diploma with IELTS as some Degree level courses require an IELTS score of 6.0.
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Successfully passing the UAL Foundation Diploma will give you UCAS points: Pass 80, Merit 96, Distinction112.
- This will allow you to apply for entry to all of our 8 specialist HNDs and Year 2 of a 4-year Scottish Degree or year 1 of a 3-year R.U.K Degree.
- The IELTS part of this course will allow you to prepare for Degree level study and you will have the opportunity to raise your IELTS to score up to level 6.0 by sitting an IELTS test at the end of the year.
- Successfully passing the Contextual and Critical Studies part of this course will strengthen your application for HND and Degree applications by gaining 2 SQA units in Communications and English Literature.
- Progress straight into employment within the art and design sector at an intermediary level
- Most UAL Foundation Diploma students progress onto HND and Degree level study before becoming successful practicing Artists and Designers.
- Art Director
- Art Educator
- Fashion/Textile Designer
- Product Designer
- Interior Designer
- Games Artist
- Graphic Designer
- UX Designer
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.