UAL Art and Design Level 2 Diploma
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The University of the Arts London (UAL) Level 2 Diploma in Art and Design is designed to build on the skills, knowledge and understanding acquired at School or previous study. During this course, your creativity will be explored, developed and tested. This course will encourage you to build a personal portfolio that can be used to apply for further study or a job in the arts sector.
The qualification structure provides a sound base of skills and knowledge that will enhance your self-confidence and understanding of career demands and opportunities within the art sector. This course will encourage you to build a personal portfolio that can be used to apply for further study or a job in the arts industry.
This is a practical studio-based course where you will study a wide range of different specialities. This course is suited to school-leavers or mature students looking to develop skills in drawing using sketchbooks and to gain a better understanding of the creative process. You will research famous designers and take inspiration from their work. This course will finish with your final major project which can be displayed at our end of year show.
What you will learn
- An introductory experience to some of the materials, methods, processes and technical skills that support art and design activity
- An introductory understanding of the context in which art and design activity is located
- An opportunity to test student interest in art and design activities
- Development of an awareness of the value of research to support art and design activity
- An introduction to drawing skills necessary to support creative activity in art and design
- Development of an understanding of the role of communication skills in the development of ideas
- An opportunity to use the knowledge understanding and skills developed in previous units to identify research and produce a personal art and design project
- Present personal project work at the end of year Diploma Exhibition
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment of Art and Design work
- You will gain an overall final grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Four National 4’s including Art and Design and English (or equivalent)
- You must submit a portfolio of practical artwork that demonstrates creative potential
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- UAL Level 3 Diploma
- UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- Specialist NC / HND qualifications within Art and Design
- Employment at a junior level within the creative industries
Our Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.