UAL Art and Design Level 3 Diploma
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This University of the Arts London (UAL) Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design course will give you an understanding of the employment and further education opportunities available in the art and design sector. The course is designed for progression onto HND or first-year university courses or a job in the industry.
This course will encourage you to build a personal portfolio that can be used to apply for further study or a job in the arts sector. During this course, you will study a range of Art and Design techniques. This course is suited to school-leavers or mature students looking to develop skills in drawing using sketchbooks and to gain a better understanding of the creative process. You will research famous designers and take inspiration from their work. This course will finish with your final major project which can be displayed at our end-of-year show.
You will complete challenging assignments within deadlines and attend weekly Critical and Contextual Studies. This experimental way of thinking is essential for you to succeed in this exciting creative industry. You will be encouraged to focus on a specialised subject such as drawing, painting, sculpture, 2D or 3D design. This is a flexible course made to meet your interests, abilities and aspirations.
This year our UAL Level 3 Diploma students have received offers to all eight of our specialist HNDs in Art and Design. Below is a small selection of some of the offers received from our UAL Level 3 Diploma students to Degree level study across the UK this year.
- BEng Hons Architectural Engineering Heriot-Watt University
- BA Hons Illustration Camberwell College of Arts UAL
- BA Hons Computer Arts at Abertay University
- BDes Hons Product Design at Edinburgh Napier University
- BA Hons Illustration and Visual Media at London College of Communication, UAL
- BA Hons The Art of Computer Animation at Escape Studios Pearson College
- Develop a critical and contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within art design or related subjects of study or work
- Learn how to research analyse and evaluate relevant information and ideas in order to develop creative solutions
- Be able to understand adapt and safely use appropriate and practical methods and skills for creative production
- Solve complex problems through the application of art design or related practical theoretical and technical understanding
- Critically review the effectiveness and appropriateness of methods actions and results
- Use evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for your own learning development and decision making
- Take responsibility for the research planning time management and actions to access progression opportunities
- Effectively present your ideas and artwork to appropriate audiences
- Final Major Project
- London Study trip – this trip is not mandatory but is highly encouraged and valuable to your learning
- Diploma exhibition
Contextual and Critical Studies ( CCS)
- You will develop the essential critical and evaluative skills required for a successful Degree and HND study by attending a CCS session each week ( 1 semester).
- Gain 1 x SQA unit to strengthen UCAS applications: Communication Communication (F3GB12)
How the course is assessed
- Course work will be assessed by portfolio submission
- You will gain an overall final grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction
Number of days per week
- 3 days
- Four National 5’s or above including Art and Design and English (or equivalent)
- UAL Level 2 Diploma or NC SCQF Level 5 in a related subject
- You must submit a portfolio of practical artwork that demonstrates creative potential
- A good general understanding of the creative process from either school college or previous study and experience
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- You will gain UCAS (Pass 36 Merit 60 Distinction 84) for university applications allowing you to apply for entry to Year 1 at Scottish art colleges.
- Your portfolio will support applications to the UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design and specialist HND in Art and Design as well as first-year degree-level study through UCAS
- Employment at a junior level within the creative industries
- Most UAL level 3 Diploma students progress onto either UAL Level 3 Foundation Diploma or HND and Degree level study before becoming successful practising Artists and Designers.
- Potential occupations:
- Art Director
- Art Educator
- Games Artist
- UX Designer
Our Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.