Visual Communication: Graphic Design HND
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The HND Visual Communication in Graphic Design is an award-winning and studio-driven course with an exciting blend of employer engagement, industry collaboration and contemporary design projects. The course has a strong reputation for producing industry-ready graduates who can think and execute design solutions across a range of print and digital formats.
You will learn the elements of visual design for both web and print. The curriculum mixes research, problem-solving and teamwork skills with theory and practice in areas such as typography, colour, layout, publishing, and creative advertising. You will undertake a work placement at one of Scotland’s prestigious design companies and work on creative briefs to ensure you have practical experience in the design process. HND students will have the opportunity to exhibit their work in professional galleries for the general public, industry professionals and future colleagues to view.
We have an Education Network Membership with D&AD and our students regularly enter and win national and international design awards. We run the sector-leading Mentoring Programme and Partnership Initiative where you will work closely with a select group of industry professionals at leading agencies.
What you will learn
- Graphic Design
- Personal Development Planning
- Creative Industries
- Web Design: An Introduction
- Art and Design: Creative Process
- Art and Design Project
- Graphic Production for Commercial Production
- Art and Design: Desktop Publishing and Layout
- Art and Design Context
- Digital Imaging
- Visual Communication
- Web Design
- Creative Project for Artists and Designers
- Design Production
- Digital Imaging Project
- Graphic Design Project
- Client-Initiated Design Project
How the course is assessed
- Assessment is through practical projects where students tackle a range of client-initiated briefs, design competitions, and studio projects
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Year one: Two Highers or UAL Level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year two: Pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level
- You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your advanced art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants for this course are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and will be invited to a portfolio review session.
- Specific information on Digital Portfolios and review Sessions for the course you have applied for will be sent to you after you submit your online application form.
- For more information and advice on your portfolio please read the Art and Design Application and Portfolio Guide This includes advice on the content, formatting and size of your portfolio but also information on the portfolio review process, what to do if you don’t have a portfolio and the support available for Teachers supporting School pupils preparing portfolios for Art and Design courses.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
Recognised entry to second and third-year Scottish 4-year Degrees, for example
- ECA Second-year entry
- Grays School of Art
- Napier and Abertay
- Recognised second-year entry to R.U.K 3 year Degrees
- BA (Hons) Visual Communication and Design, year 3 entry to the University of the Highlands and Islands
- Each year, a high number of graduating students progress directly into design roles in agencies or pursue freelance work.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.