Web Development HND
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This is a 2-year HND course, offering an HNC certificate after year 1.
This is a hands-on and practical course that will enhance your employability skills. Edinburgh College has strong industry connections with Edinburgh-based digital companies. This course offers you an up-to-date award that reflects recent developments within the web design and development sector. Each subject area you cover is tailored towards jobs available in the industry to make sure you get the best education to progress towards a successful career. You will develop a mastery of the latest software packages such as Adobe as well as learn about dynamic website development using MYSQL, Mobile Technologies and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). This course will ensure you are well prepared for employment, self-employment or university studies in web development and digital media.<
What you will learn
Year one and two - Edinburgh College
- Web Video
- Adobe Graphics Software
- Dynamic Website Development
- Web App Development
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Content Management System (CMS)
- UI/UX Design
Year three and four - Napier University
- Year three of your studies may be a placement year
- Year four of your studies may be an Honours year
- There may be opportunities for work experience during the course. These will be encouraged by your college lecturers but are not mandatory.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some multiple-choice tests
- There will be one exam
Number of days per week
- Approximately 18 hours per week, which we try to timetable into 3 days.
- However, it is a demanding course and you should aim to dedicate 4.5 days per week to complete it.
- For school leavers: Three Highers consisting of a B grade Pass in English or Communications and two other C passes
- For college students: SCQF Level 6 course in a relevant subject such as Software Development and Web.
- All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you.
- All applicat are asked to complete a screening exercise online to assess your skills
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- If you are invited to attend an interview you will be asked to complete a screening exercise to assess your skills
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0 and Ideally no component below 5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- After the second year, you can progress to the third year BSc Web Development at Edinburgh Napier University
- Other university options exist for 1st and 2nd-year entry.
- Self-employment as a web designer/developer
- Employment in the interactive media or web development industry
- Self-employment as a web designer and developer
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.