Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wines
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Part time
Course enquiry form
This course is suitable for those starting a wine career or pursuing an interest in wine.
For individuals new to wine study, this qualification provides a hands-on introduction to the world of wine. You’ll explore the main types and styles of wine through sight, smell, and taste, while also gaining the basic skills to describe wines accurately and make food and wine pairings. Upon successful completion, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
Included in the course -
- All course materials produced by WSET
- All tasting wines (6 wines tasted)
- All tuition and hand-outs
- Examination paper, marking by WSET and a certificate and lapel pin for passing.
- All study materials
The deadline for applications is Monday 8th August 2022
- Mon 29th August 2022 - 9 am to 5.30 pm (including the final exam), the deadline for applications and payment is Mon 8th August 2022, to allow time for materials to be ordered).
- Tues 6th June 2023 – 9 am to 5.30 pm (including the final exam), the deadline for applications and payment is Tues 16th May, to allow time for materials to be ordered).
What you will learn
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to store and serve wine
- The principles of food and wine pairing
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine (SAT)
How the course is assessed
- There is a 30-question multiple-choice paper at the end of this course (on the same day) with a 70% and above pass mark.
Number of days per week
- This is a one day course
- There are no entry requirements for this qualification but you must be of legal drinking age in this country to participate in any alcohol tasting - however, this is not a barrier to successful completion of the qualification.
For further details and the full course, specification go to:-
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- WSET Level 2 Certificate in Wines
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Part time||13/06/23||0 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.