The University of the Arts London (UAL) Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is a stepping stone between lower level or high school study to a specialist art and design education. This course is designed for progression into further study courses at HND or university level or employment within the arts industry. Our specialist International UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design combines art and design study with 6 hours per week of IELTS Preparation classes, to support students to achieve the IELTS level of 6.0-6.5 required to progress to university.
You will gain UCAS points for university applications allowing you to apply for entry to Year 2 at Scottish art colleges. Your portfolio will support applications to specialist HND in Art and Design as well as second year degree level study through UCAS.
During this course, you will develop your confidence and independent learning in the four main specialist areas used in contemporary art and design practice. You will explore and evaluate different art and design mediums and develop a critical awareness of the contemporary visual world. You will complete challenging assignments within deadlines and attend weekly critical and contextual studies. The course will encourage your creative development through innovative and inspiring teaching. You will be taught by experienced, successful and professional lecturers in Edinburgh College art studios. This course will finish with your final major project which can be displayed at our end of year show.
The course has an articulation agreement with The Glasgow School of Art for two guaranteed places into second-year Sculpture and Environmental Art and strong progression into second year Degree study across Scotland. This year our UAL Foundation students have received offers to all eight of our specialist HNDs in Art and Design. Below is a small selection of some of the offers received from our UAL Foundation students this year to Degree level study across the UK, with many of our UAL Foundation students receiving multiple offers.
- BDes Hons Product Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BDes Hons Interior Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Sculpture and Environmental Art at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Sculpture at Edinburgh College of Art UoE
- BA Hons Painting at Edinburgh College of Art UoE
- BA Hons Art and Philosophy at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design
- BA Hons Fine Art at Central St Martins UAL
- BA Hons Fine Art at Camberwell College of Arts UAL
- BA Hons Communication Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Contemporary Art Practice Grays School of Art RGU
- BA Hons Hair and Make-up for Fashion at London College of Fashion UAL
- BDes Hons Interior and Spatial Design Edinburgh Napier University
Minimum 11/12 years of school education with good results in subjects relevant to the course.
You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process.