Group of students enjoying their lunch break in a canteen.

Support for International Students

At Edinburgh College, we have a dedicated International team to support you during your time studying with us. We are here to help you at all stages of study, from initial inquiry to progression to university after your course has finished, if that's your plan. 

The International team offers a range of free services to international students including: 

  • Application and admission support 
  • Help with visa applications and renewals 
  • Airport meetings on arrival 
  • Induction programme 
  • Social and cultural programme 
  • Accommodation advice and placement 
  • Academic guidance 
  • University progression advice 
  • Basic careers advice 
  • Language testing 

Care of students under 18 years old 

Edinburgh College offers courses for post-school age and adults, and most College students are over 18 years old. However, but we also accept students aged 16 and 17 years old. The College works to ensure a safe learning environment for all our students, but this is especially true for those under the age of 18. There are a range of support systems in place for all our students. However, please note:   

  • Edinburgh College does not provide 24-hour supervision of students. 
  • Students under the age of 18 will study in classes with adults of all ages.
  • Students will travel unsupervised between homestay and the College. 
  • Students will be unsupervised outside class time and homestay. 

Before arrival at Edinburgh College, parents/guardians of students must sign a parental agreement form to confirm that they understand the support systems and rules that Edinburgh College has in place for the welfare of under 18s, and the level of supervision that we provide. Students will also need to sign the agreement.  

Visa Information and Support 

We provide visa information and support for any student who requires a visa to study with us.  

To find out if you need a visa to study, see the UK government website here - Check if you need a UK visa - GOV.UK ( 

Some students can travel and study in the UK for up to 6 months without a visa. 

Some students may need to apply for one of the following visa types to study in the UK: 

For more information about visa types, please see Immigration Information | Edinburgh College page on the website. 

Person looking at world map on their laptop screen.

Visa types and information

Most international students need a visa to study in the UK. Edinburgh College also welcomes applications from international students already in the UK on another type of visa or immigration permission.

Immigration Information