This Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) approved qualification from The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) provides automotive Mobile Air Conditioning (MAC) technicians with certification needed to meet the European Union fluorinated F-Gas MAC regulations (Commission Regulation EC 842/2006 and the annex EC 307/2008).
Achievement of the Level 3 Award in Automotive Refrigerant Handling qualification allows MAC technicians to legally recover F-Gas from air conditioning systems in motor cars and car derived vans.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills associated with the operation of air conditioning systems
- Gain an awareness of the environmental impact of fluorinated greenhouse gases
- Know the common procedures for recovering fluorinated greenhouse gases
- Be able to demonstrate how to handle a refrigerant cylinder
- Be able to connect and disconnect a recovery set to and from the service ports of a vehicle A/C system
- Be able to operate a recovery set appropriately
- Experience in the automotive service or as a repair technician will be beneficial but is not mandatory
How the course is assessed
- Candidates are required to sit an online examination and carry out a practical skills assessment at the end of the course.
- This course will enable you to continue to work and progress within the refrigerant trade
- This qualification is delivered over 2 consecutive days at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus.
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £288 Midlothian part-time (year 1)
Edinburgh College automotive engineering student, Anthony Mailer, was awarded first place in the IMI Skill Auto Technology Qualifiers, beating five students from three other UK colleges at the Henry Ford Academy.
“It’s been phenomenal, the whole experience. I couldn’t believe it when they called out my name as the winner of the first heat.”
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start on…
- Monday 23/11/2020
- Monday 15/02/2021
- Monday 19/04/2021
This course will end on...
- Tuesday 24/11/2020
- Tuesday 16/02/2021
- Tuesday 20/04/2021