Advanced Higher English (SCP)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Part time
Duration 45 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is for S6 pupils who are still at school.
Advanced Higher English focuses on the critical and creative study of complex and sophisticated literature and language, adding specialism, depth and independence to your English and academic study skills.
There is opportunity for personalisation and choice, and freedom within the course to plan according your needs, taking account of your interests and motivations.
You will be encouraged to appreciate the ways in which complex and sophisticated literature promotes cultural and personal self-awareness and self-definition through, for example, personal, moral, ethical, social and cultural concerns in the context of your own cultural heritage and history, as well as the culture and history of others.
Building on what you learned in Higher English (or equivalent course), you will apply your skills, knowledge and understanding in increasingly specialised contexts. The course involves both guided and independent study to develop skills in literary analysis and evaluation, and encourages you to make connections between texts from the literary genres of poetry, prose fiction and drama.
These responses will be expressed in a variety of forms, developing skills in both creative and critical writing.
What you will learn
You will develop the ability to:
- read, write, talk and listen in complex and sophisticated contexts, as appropriate to purpose and audience
- understand, analyse, evaluate, and make connections between complex and sophisticated literary texts
- create and produce written texts as appropriate to purpose, audience and context,through the application of knowledge and understanding of complex and sophisticated language
How the course is assessed
- The course assessment will take the form of a portfolio through which you will demonstrate your writing skills and an examination which will assess your ability to write critically on set texts and demonstrate reading skills for understanding, analysis and evaluation of texts.
- A final exam
- Advanced Higher English is a demanding course. In order to succeed, students are expected to attend all classes and in addition study independently for at least 3 hours a week. Please consider whether you can make this commitment before applying for the course.
Number of days per week
2 days a week - Tuesdays and Thursdays 1:30 pm - 4 pm. Tuesdays will be online and Thursdays on-campus
- You must be a 6th-year pupil still at school
You must have a pass at Higher English at an A or B and 2 other Higher qualifications
Progression and Articulation Routes
This course will add to your portfolio of qualifcations to apply for college and university courses
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.