Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
Bakery NPA is an intensive 18-week course and is an industry-recognised qualification designed to give you key employability and basic practical skills needed to enter into the bakery industry. You will study subjects in; pastry skills, craft baking, bread making, cake decoration, food hygiene and teamwork. This wide range of skills will ensure you are fully prepared for further study and a rewarding career.
Edinburgh College has links with many employers and industry professionals in Edinburgh, the Lothians and beyond as well as fantastic facilities. You will work in Edinburgh College’s own cafe and serve freshly baked delicacies to College students, staff and the general public. You will be supported and encouraged by College lecturers to seek work experience in the industry. This will give you essential and first-hand experience in the baking industry.
What you will learn
- Food Safety
- REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene
- Basic Pastry Skills
- Basic Craft Baking
- Basic Bread Making
- Basic Cake Making
- Basic Cake Decorating
- Basic Barista and service ( customer care & selling skills)
- Although there is no mandatory placement requirement for this course you are recommended to seek work experience within the industry for example in bakeries or coffee shops to support your studies. Your course tutor may be able to assist you in finding suitable work experience.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through a mix of practical observations delivered in a realistic working environment while serving the public.
- Theoretical assignments throughout the session.
Number of days per week
- 2 to 3 days per week
- Two National 4s at grade C passes (or above)
- Applicants who do not have the relevant entry requirements but have relevant experience or alternative qualifications will be considered
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an information session and interview to assess if this is the correct course for you
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NC Bakery
- Bakery Assistant
- Customer Care Assistant
- Assistant Baker
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.