Beauty Therapy HNC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
If you’re looking to learn beauty therapy skills to a higher level this 1-year course is for you. You will be taught and assessed on basic beauty therapies and a more advanced skill set to prepare you for a career in Beauty Therapy which can lead to a more technical and supervisory level.
You will learn the therapeutic skills and knowledge you need to move into the highest level of the beauty industry by performing a variety of beauty therapy techniques and more advanced beauty treatment plans to meet industry requirements. You will also gain more hands-on experience through working in our employability salon with the high-end product company Elemis, thus enhancing your employability prospects even further.
We make sure you are fully prepared for the industry and setting up your own successful business with a wide range of salon and spa environments by assessing you in different methods from your work experience with clients' case studies to oral presentation skills.
- There is an additional cost for course kits, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Some theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g.laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
What you will learn
- Beauty Therapy: Applied Anatomy and Physiology
- Body Massage Treatments
- Beauty Therapy: Face & Body Treatment Packages
- Beauty Therapy: Face & Body Electrotherapy
- Beauty Therapy: Depilation
- Beauty Therapy: Hand and Foot Therapies
- Beauty Therapy: Facial Therapy Treatments
- Beauty Therapy: Professional Salon Skills
- Beauty Therapy: Graded Unit 1
- All students are expected to complete an external work placement in Semester 2 of the course.
- You will also be working on clients throughout your subjects and in our realistic Employability salons as part of the course.
- Please note these are mandatory aspects of the course.
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons.
- The theoretical aspects of the course will be assessed by using a variation of closed book assessments, essays, case studies and research
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (9-4pm) plus one evening (4:30-8pm)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and must hold :
- Minimum of 2 passes at SCQF Level 6 preferably in English and Biology
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Please include a strong personal statement as part of your application which explains your reasons for wanting to be on the course. Once completed we will review your personal statement in conjunction with the rest of your application.
Thereafter successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview, this may be online or on campus to discuss their application and why they wish to study HND Beauty Therapy.
The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on presentation and communication skills at the interview.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- 2nd Year HND Beauty Therapy
Continue your studies to degree level in:
- BSC (Hons) Integrative Healthcare Degree at University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI).
- Complementary therapies
- Business studies
You will be fully qualified as a Beauty Therapist and therefore have employment opportunities of:
- Beauty therapist manager of a spa or beauty salon
- Start up your own business
- Trainer/Lecturer within Beauty industry
- Entry to 2nd Year HND Beauty Therapy
- Integrated Healthcare Degree (UHI)
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.