Oral Health Care: Dental Nursing HNC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course will provide the knowledge, skills and expertise to register with the General Dental Council as a qualified Dental Nurse. This course includes a placement within a dental establishment to develop, and enhance realistic practical skills within a dental team.
The course is delivered by supportive, experienced staff in our realistic clinical learning environment and external work-based placement. This will support your previous learning and provide practical application within dental nursing.
What you will learn
- Dental Anatomy
- Dental Charting including; specialised software
- Restorative Dentistry
- Dental Radiography
- Non- Surgical Endodontics
- Extraction and Minor Oral Surgery
- Decontamination Processes and Skills
- Health and Safety
- Oral Diseases and their Prevention
- 18 Mandatory units including a graded unit
The dental nursing team will facilitate placement arrangements including referral to Occupational Health for a health check and required immunisation.
How the course is assessed
The course is assessed via a combination of open/closed book assessments within the college e-assessment centre. Completion of an electronic portfolio with a variety of evidence types.
Number of days per week
- 2 days placement, 3 days on campus
- Successful completion of the National Certificate Level 6 Oral healthcare: Preparing for Practice or relevant experience from a Healthcare environment will be considered.
- Your place on the course will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Scotland check in the form of an enhanced PVG.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- External applicants will be required to attend an interview in advance of an offer for a place on the course.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND in Dental Nursing (SCQF Level 8)
A variety of post qualifications including:
- PDA Dental Nursing: Supporting Special Care Provision at SCQF Level 8
- PDA Dental Radiography (Operator)
- BSc Oral Health Sciences
- Completion of this award allows the student to register with the General Dental Council as a qualified dental nurse.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.