Oral Health Care - Preparing for Practice NC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 43 weeks
Course enquiry form
The National Certificate in Oral Health Care qualification will allow you to gain knowledge and skills to prepare you for practice and ensure you are a “safe beginner”. This will support your progression into a Dental Nursing career.
The course is delivered by supportive, experienced staff in our realistic clinical learning environment. This will allow you to learn about the practical applications of dental nursing, developing a skill set that is sought after in healthcare.
What you will learn
- Develop essential skills in Decontamination within the dental environment.
- Acquire first aid skills in managing medical emergencies within the dental setting.
- Gain a knowledge of dental structures.
- Understand the protocols and procedures that ensure a safe and healthy environment.
- Learn how to evaluate patients’ dental conditions for effective treatment planning.
- Recognise and handle dental instruments and materials safely.
- Legislation and Regulation in accordance with General Dental Council requirements.
- Reflect and Develop your own practice.
On completion of this course you will have developed essential skills such as communication, numeracy, ICT, teamwork and problem-solving which can be applied in all aspects of life learning in the workplace.
- There is not a placement element for this award.
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed through a series of formative and summative assessment activities. There are both practical and theoretical assessments within the course.
Number of days per week
- 3 Days Per Week (Days TBC)
- Three National 5 qualifications, or a relevant National 5 course such as Oral Health Improvement or Health and Social Care.
- Core Skills (Communication, Numeracy, Problem Solving, Information and Communication Technology and Working with Others) at SCQF Level 5 or above.
- SQA units in a Science, Maths or English-based subject at SCQF Level 5 or above.
If you don’t have the required qualifications but can demonstrate the ability to work at SCQF level 6 and have life/work experience, skills and qualities relevant to the healthcare sector we may also consider you for a place.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- Attendance to an interview / information session and completion of a written task required.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5 requred
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC in Dental Nursing or Modern Apprenticeship which will lead to registration with the General Dental Council.
- Local Decontamination operative.
- Trainee Dental Nurse or a role in any healthcare environment.
- This course is designed to provide a career pathway into the oral healthcare professions.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.