Radio Broadcasting NPA SCQF 5 and Journalism NPA SCQF 6 (SCP)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is for S5 and S6 pupils who are still at school.
The media industry is experiencing significant growth with radio and TV journalism now having a wider reach than ever. This industry focussed, project-based course will provide real insight and experience of working in the Radio Broadcast and Journalism sector. Sitting within the school of Media, the course will cover:
- Radio programme production
- Interviewing skills
- Presenting for radio and TV
- Feature and news writing
- Research for journalism
- Website development
Completion of the course will be through realistic, industry-focussed projects in the role of a journalist, presenter, producer (including audio content production/podcast), and communication/PR.
The assessment of the course is through the participation and submission of creative projects, resulting in two NPA qualifications at SQCF L5 and L6, allowing for progression onto a range of Broadcast Media (Film and TV), and Media and Comms courses in Higher Education.
What you will learn
NPA Radio Broadcast (L5)
- Media: Radio Interviewing
- Media: Presenting for Radio and TV
- Media: Radio Journalism
- Media: Making a Radio Programme
NPA Journalism (L6)
- Research and Interview Skills for Journalism
- Feature Writing
- News Writing for Print
- Basic Website Development
How the course is assessed
- Project-based course assessed through the submission of completed mixed media projects. Will involve the production of both audio and written content.
Number of days per week
- Tuesday and Thursday afternoons
- Two relevant National 5 Qualifications
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate a keen interest in and knowledge/experience of the media industries
- and will be required to submit a completed personal statement as part of the application process.
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC Digital Journalism and Media
- HND Television
- HND Audio Visual Production
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.