Social Services Professions
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
If you are looking for a career that is challenging, has opportunities for development and makes a real difference in people’s lives then social services could be perfect for you.
This course combines the practical skills and theoretical knowledge required with a work placement, allowing you to take learning from the classroom into the professional world. This course is designed to meet the most current needs of the social services industry allowing graduates to work with a high degree of ability and confidence in the incredibly rewarding environments of social services.
This course is designed for you to either progress to an HNC or enter employment in social services.
If you are not sure if this course is for you, try our social services quiz.
What you will learn
Keeping in regular communication with the Social Services industry, Edinburgh College has developed a first-rate curriculum.
Areas of study within the programme include -
- Mental Health
- Dementia Care
- Substance Misuse
- Data skills
- Human development
- Professional development
- Communication Skills
- Work Experience
- Plus more (subject to change)
- There is a 1 day per week student placement requirement for this course
How the course is assessed
- This course is assessed by case studies, projects, essays, presentations and group tasks
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week- one attending college, one online learning day and one day on placement.
- Minimum 4 National 5s (or equivalent) including English
- Previous SCQF Level 5 Course at College
- Mature candidates who do not possess these formal qualifications may be considered if they can demonstrate the ability to study at this level
- All applicants will require an acceptable Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme record check
- Entry requirements also include attendance and successful participation in a group information session
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants meeting the entry qualifications will be invited into college for an information session after which offers will be made.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Typical academic progression routes from this course would be our HNC Social Services programme or similar.
- Care Worker roles within a broad range of social services settings
- Progression routes to further study in Social Care, Community Education and Counselling
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.