Funding and Fees FAQs

Full-time study 

1. Will I have to pay any course tuition fees?
In general, students do not pay fees for full-time National Qualification (NQ) level courses. If you are studying an advanced level course such as an HNC, the Student Awards Agency for Scotland will pay fees directly to the College for eligible students (see
2. Can I receive help towards my living and travel costs?
A Bursary/EMA is generally for help towards living, travel and essential equipment/book costs for students studying a non-advanced course (NQ, Int1/2 and equivalent). Awards are means tested and the amount you receive will depend on your personal circumstances. 

For an advanced level course, such as an HNC, most students will apply through SAAS for tuition fees, student loan or other allowances, depending on your circumstances.
3. When should I apply for my funding?

Immediately after you have applied for a course, start looking at your options and speak to our funding and fees team. It is important that you have arranged funding before starting a course at the College. Applying for funding close to your course start date can cause delays. 

If you have been offered and accepted a place on a full-time NQ or equivalent level course you need to complete the online Bursary/EMA pages on your online account and submit it (and the appropriate evidence) to us as soon as possible.  

For HN students, SAAS generally aim to have your funding in place for the start of term if you have submitted your application (with all required evidence) by the end of June.
4. How long does it take to process my application?
Provided you give us all the right information and evidence, we aim to process applications within 28 days. Students are advised that at peak application times these targets are not guaranteed.

For HN students, The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) takes up to 6 weeks to process funding applications (depending on the time you apply). If you do not provide the documents and/or evidence required it will take longer to process.
5. How much money can I expect to get while I am at college?
Everyone has different personal circumstances and the amount you receive will depend on this. EMAs are £30 per week, a maximum bursary is either £77.01 or £97.33 per week (depending on circumstances) plus travel and course expenses. 

For HN students, the maximum student loan package is £7,500 per year. The college expects you to have made arrangements to support yourself for the first few weeks of the course and to take all reasonable steps to bridge gaps in your income, for example by finding part-time employment.
6. How will I be paid?
Bursaries/EMAs are always paid directly into your bank account, fortnightly in arrears; payments are dependent on your attendance at college. 

For HN students, student loans are paid monthly. 
Part-time study
7. What help is there for part-time students?
You may be offered fee remission if you receive certain benefits or have an income at the same level as benefits (proof will be required e.g. payslips). You may also qualify for support from other funds (see below)
8. Will the College help pay for childcare?
Eligible students may apply online to the college childcare fund for help towards registered childcare. The fund is means tested, so depending on your circumstances, we may pay for some or all of your registered childcare.
9. What if I’m still struggling? – is there extra help available?
The College has additional Discretionary funds to help students who are experiencing hardship as a result of coming to college. The College expects you to have made arrangements to support yourself for the first few weeks of the course and to take all reasonable steps to bridge gaps in your income for example by finding part-time employment.


10. I receive benefits, can I still get funding? 
If you receive benefits and plan to study full-time, you should check how your payments might be affected before enrolling at the college. Talk to your local benefits office before you apply for a course.
11. I am looking to get a part-time job to get more money. How can you help? 

Many students find that they need to take a part-time job to make ends meet. We can support you to find work. Vacancies are displayed on our student portal via our JobZone platform. Once you are enrolled as a student you can access this information.
12. I am struggling financially. Is there someone I can talk to? 

If you run into money problems once you've started your course, don't keep it to yourself. Talk to us as soon as you can. There may be additional funding you can apply for through the Discretionary Fund.
Don’t let financial worries get in the way of your studies. We can give you practical, confidential advice on your situation and help you to start sorting the problems out. The Student Services Team on each of the college campuses will be happy to assist you with any queries you may have. Remember, we’re here to help you!

The Money Advice Service offers free, impartial money advice to help you make choices throughout your life, whatever your circumstances. If you would like advice on any financial matters or find out more visit 

For further information please contact the College t: 0131 669 4400 | Terms of use and disclaimer
Text Size + - Background Colour Text Colour
Inverted Grey Simple Soft Red Blue Green Yellow Violet Default
Black Grey White Soft Red Blue Green Yellow Violet Default