Access to College Level 4 - Young Learners
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Please note, that this course opens for applications on 9th April.
Edinburgh College is one of the largest year-round providers of English Language courses in Scotland. All College-based ESOL classes are accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK.
The average class size is 18 – 20 with a maximum of 23. You must be aged 16 or older to study ESOL courses in college.
This course is appropriate if you speak English as a second language and want to improve your English language skills for work or further training. It's ideal if you are living in the UK on a permanent or long-term basis. The course aims to develop your language skills and your confidence over 16 hours a week of taught classes, directed self-study, and personal tutorial time.
This is an Intermediate Level course. The course will also focus on study, language and employability skills. You will have the opportunity to improve your IT and numeracy.
This course is particularly suited for people aged 16 to 24. This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45).
What you will learn
- English language skills of reading writing listening and speaking
- You will develop your grammar at an Intermediate level
- You will extend your general and work vocabulary
- You will study the core skills of numeracy and IT
- You will organise an event
- You will develop skills in applying for work and going to interviews
How the course is assessed
- The course is internally assessed
Number of days per week
- 3 days (16 hours)
- SQA National 3 or equivalent
- Assessment of language level as part of the application
- International students (students from outside the UK without Settled or pre-settled status excluding asylum seekers, refugees and Humanitarian Protection Status) will need to check visa requirements. Please go to the International section of the website.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited for a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
English Proficiency RequirementsSQA Access 3 or equivalent.
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progress onto the next level of ESOL.
- Progress onto NC ESOL for Employability Level 5.
- Progress to other level 5 ESOL and Employability courses.
ESOL Price List
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.