Cambridge B2 First Preparation Level 1
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
Please note, applications for this course open on 9th April 2024.
Edinburgh College is one of the largest year-round providers of English Language courses in Scotland. All College Based ESOL classes are accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK.
This course is designed to prepare you for the Cambridge B2 First exam. The course covers the reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills you will need for the test as well as relevant vocabulary and grammar.
Your tutor will have a discussion with you about whether you are ready to enter the Cambridge exam upon completion of the course. The Cambridge B2 First exam is held in December and June in the College. You can request a confirmation of attendance letter upon completion of the course.
Please note that there will be no classes on the two days of the examination. The cost of the exam (approximately £160) is not included in the course fee. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45).
Preparation for Cambridge B2 First Evening Course Information
Preparation for Cambridge B2 First Part-Time Course Information
The average class size is 18 – 20 with a maximum of 23. You must be aged 16 or older to study ESOL courses in college.
Support for students aged 16 and 17
All 16 and 17-year-olds are given a 24-hour emergency number.
Information on ‘Keeping yourself safe in Edinburgh’ is provided at induction. A tutorial system is in place for students to discuss progress or any problems with their teacher.
Students are supervised in class, on class trips/activities, and during work placements.
Parental consent is required for class trips and work placements. Outside these hours there is no supervision of 16 and 17-year-olds.</What you will learn
- Developing reading, writing, listening and speaking skills for the Cambridge B2 First exam
- Upper-intermediate grammar and vocabulary appropriate for B2 First Exam
How the course is assessed
- The course is internally assessed. It is possible to take the external Cambridge B2 First exam at the end of the course
Number of days per week
- 3 days for Full time, 17 hours
- 2 days for Part-time, 10 hours
- 2 evenings for Evening, 4 hours
- Aged 16 years or over
- Meet the minimum language requirements of IELTS 4.5 or SQA ESOL National 4
- Your level of English will also be assessed in an interview at the College
International students (students from outside the UK without Settled or pre-settled status excluding asylum seekers, refugees and Humanitarian Protection Status) will need to check visa requirements. Please go to the International section of the website.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited for a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 4.5 or SQA ESOL National 4.
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Gain your Cambridge B2 First certificate then progress to the Cambridge C1 Advanced qualification
- Further study or employment
- Move to mainstream college courses
ESOL Price List
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.