Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This qualification provides learners with practical skills and theoretical knowledge that meet the needs of employers. The HNC in Business (SCQF level 7) develops knowledge and skills in areas such as business organisation.
This qualification covers areas such as Accounting for Business, Economic Issues, Managing People and Organisations, Marketing and Business Fundamentals with Emerging Technologies.
The demand for strong business-minded graduates is high and, through digital and social changes, the industry is growing.
We aim to give you the skills you will need to thrive in your chosen career. This course was uniquely designed with employers and universities in mind and will ensure you are qualified to progress onto further study or into a rewarding career.
What you will learn
- Accounting for Business
- Managing People & Organisations
- Business Fundamentals and Emergent Technologies
- Human Resource Management
- Digital Marketing Communications
- Business Communication
How the course is assessed
Each subject will have different evidence requirements and approaches to assessment.
Some examples are provided below on the methods of assessments:
- Open Book
- Exam – Closed book controlled
- Project-based assessments
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Minimum of two relevant Highers at Grade C or above and a minimum of four National 5s at Grade C or above in relevant subjects, these must include English or Maths or equivalent; subjects may include Business related subjects, Maths, English, Social and Science based subjects
- Relevant National Qualifications Group Award at SCQF level 6 or above
- Candidates will be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be required to attend a group and/or individual interview
- Skills check, this is to ensure you are on the right courses
- We will provide you with further information on the course during the interview
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum IELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
HNC can provide progression to degree-level study. For example, the HNC in Business allows direct entry into the second year of most degree programmes, and allows direct entry to most second year programmes.
Higher National qualifications also provide the knowledge and understanding required for related Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs). For example, SVQ in Business and Administration.
Chartered Banker Institute (CBI) The Chartered Institute of Bankers for Scotland currently accept holders of HNC and HND directly into their higher level qualification leading to MCIBS (Member of the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland). For more information see https://www.charteredbanker.com/
- Assistant Business Manager
- Business Analyst
- Business Advisor
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.