CISCO Cyber Security Essentials (SCP)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
If you are interested in a career in Computing, IT or Cyber Security then this is a great addition to your CV.
The course is accredited by CISCO, the largest global tech infrastructure company, which to businesses in the sector is a household name for quality graduates.
The Cybersecurity Essentials course develops a foundational understanding of cybersecurity and how it relates to information and network security. The course introduces students to the characteristics of cybercrime, security principles, technologies, and procedures to defend networks. Through interactive, multimedia content, lab activities, and multi-industry case studies, students build technical and professional skills to pursue careers in cybersecurity.
The course runs on Friday afternoons and is anticipated to be at the Sighthill campus. We add an SQA qualification in networking fundamentals to the courses as well.
This course is CISCO and so does not equate to SQA study levels, this course is suitable for students studying at SCQF level 5 or 6.
What you will learn
- Learn procedures to implement data confidentiality, integrity, availability and security controls on networks, servers and applications.
- Understand security principles and how to develop security policies that comply with cybersecurity laws.
- Apply skills through practice, using labs and Cisco Packet Tracer activities.
- Get immediate feedback on your work through built-in quizzes and tests. The course is delivered through CISCO netAcad Portal, giving the flexibility to work at your own pace if you want to read ahead.
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed through practical activities, quizzes and tests.
Number of days per week
- Friday afternoons - August to June
- You should have a minimum of 4 national 4's one of which should be in Maths and be studying towards 5 National 5's one of which should be in Maths.
- The 5 National 5's are the minimum requirement for progression to another course after this one, in the area of Computing.
- If you just want to study this course without progression, then other entry requirements will be considered. Please put your current qualifications and the qualifications you are studying towards, on your application.
- We have a screening activity that can be used to help assess your ability to do this course.
- We encourage all interested students to apply regardless of qualifications
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- We have a screening activity that can be used to help assess students ability to do this course.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
With this Qualification and the National 4 entry requirements you could be considered for:
- Access to Cyber Security, Software and Web
With sufficient National 5's and this qualification, you can be considered for:
- NPA Cyber Security and Networking
- NPA Software Development and Web
- NPA Software Development and Digital Design
With Relevant Highers in addition to this qualification, you could be considered for:
- HND Cyber Security
- HND Networks and Systems
- HNC Computing
- HND Software Development
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.