Computer Networking HND
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
HND Networking is a 2-year computing course which incorporates the industry-recognised CISCO CCNA ( CISCO CERTIFIED NETWORK ASSOCIATE) curriculum.
You will study the most important areas of networking and cybersecurity and look at specialist areas of computer forensics such as ethical hacking. Computer Networking with security and forensics is one of the fastest-developing branches of the new technologies industry. There is a huge demand in the industry for networking and cybersecurity professionals with starting salaries between £30,000-£50,000+.
During this course, you will develop an essential understanding of networking for home and networking for small businesses. You will learn about computer networking and be introduced to routing and switching in the enterprise as well as designing and supporting computer networks.
This course is highly regarded and well-recognised in the industry and is sought after by employers.
We teach a curriculum aligned to a variety of industry-recognised vendor qualifications and can help you gain the knowledge to prepare to sit those certifications. Such as CISCO CCNA and CompTIA A+.
What you will learn
Year one and two – Edinburgh College
- Computer Networking Technologies
- Basic Software Development
- Computer Hardware and Software Installation Fundamentals
- Private Cloud Virtualisation
- Server Administration
- Data Science
- Digital Forensics
- Ethical Hacking
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and multiple-choice tests
- The Graded Unit for year one is an exam and for year two is a project
Number of days per week
- approximately 18 hours per week, which we try to timetable in 3 days per week class contact time. However, the course is demanding and assignments and projects will be set for you to complete in your own time and so it is recommended that you can dedicate 5 days per week to this course.
- For school leavers: Three Highers consisting of a B Pass in Computing, Mathematics or Science and two other C Passes
- For college students: SCQF Level 6 course in Computer Networking or Cyber Securit.
- For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be asked to complete a screening exercise online to assess your skills.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5 and Ideally no component below 5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Edinburgh Napier University BEng Networks and Systems year 3
- Edinburgh Napier BEng Cyber Security and Forensics with AA grades, year 3
- Network Engineer
- If you take the test alongside your studies, CCNA certificate job roles will be open to you
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.