Applied Science HNC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is ideal if you’re looking to develop a career requiring practical knowledge of the Sciences. You’ll study each of the main branches of Science: Chemistry and Biology as well as undertake specialist units to increase your lab skills.
The course is designed to be both sufficiently varied and in-depth to allow you to progress onto university studies, as well as prepare you for employment that relies on a knowledge of applied sciences. To progress to university you may also need to gain an additional Science Higher and have gained National 5 Mathematics.
You are advised to research your university choices early to ensure you apply for the correct complement of courses.
What you will learn
- Maths and Statistics
- Lab Skills
How the course is assessed
- Ongoing assessment per unit (theory)
- Ongoing assessment per unit (practical)
- A grading system based on graded unit
- All units within the course must be achieved to gain the full award
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- To study Biology/Chemistry subjects you must have achieved a pass in Higher Chemistry and Higher Biology or Human Biology with a minimum of a C grade
- C grade passes required at National 5 Maths and English
- Applied Science NC Level 6 is acceptable for entry
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- External or internal applicants may be required to sit a diagnostic test. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Students who have previously been given an opportunity to complete the course or apply again will be required to complete a diagnostic test. Applications to repeat a course will only be considered if there are places available – this will be reviewed in August.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progress onto Year 1/2 at university on a range of science-related courses
- Progress to Heriot-Watt University to do all BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences Degrees
- Employment both within and outwith Science sector may be possible
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.