Applied Science NC Level 6
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Applied Science NC Level 6 is designed to develop your knowledge of the science industry. You will learn the skills needed to progress into employment in the science sector or be prepared for further study of HNC in Applied Science.
This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus. Our Science department offers you the opportunity to study in purpose-built laboratories. These will support the development of your general and specialist practical skills whilst enhancing your theoretical understanding of science. You will learn a range of employer-relevant skills in the science areas of Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics.
This course is a stepping stone towards full-time employment or further study that can lead to a university degree. This course does not allow you to register for Higher exams.
What you will learn
- Laboratory experience
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- All units within the course must be achieved to gain the full award
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- A pass at Applied Sciences Level 5 OR a minimum of three National 5 subjects at a minimum of grade C (two of which must be a science)
- National 5 Mathematics at a minimum grade of C
- National 5 English is recommended but not mandatory
Note for internal/progressing students: Progression to the next level is not a guarantee and will be evaluated for each student at the end of the current course taking attendance, performance and assessment attempts into consideration.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- External or internal applicants may be required to sit a diagnostic test. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis
- Students who have previously been given an opportunity to complete the course or apply again will be required to complete a diagnostic test. Applications to repeat a course will only be considered if there are places available – this will be reviewed in August
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Applied Sciences HNC
- Modern Apprenticeship or relevant employment
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.