Computing HNC with CISCO
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
HNC Computer is a stepping stone towards a career in a specialist computing science subject. During this course, you will learn a diverse range of essential computing industry skills from troubleshooting computer problems to software development and CISCO Networking.
This course is an ideal choice if you are not yet sure where your strengths lie or what area of computing you wish to specialise in.
Discover dynamic skills as you develop your knowledge of IT and achieve your career ambitions. This unique course allows you to explore different disciplines in the computer science industry before deciding on a specialist subject like Software development at 2nd year HND at Edinburgh college or another computing subject at University.
This is a hands-on and practical course that will enhance your employability skills.
Each subject area you cover is tailored towards jobs available in the industry to make sure you get the best education to progress towards a specialist HND or Degree. All compatible Edinburgh College HND courses have third-year entry to Edinburgh Napier University or Heriot-Watt University. Alternatively, you can apply to a University upon completion of your HNC and gain entry to the first or second year of a university course.
Each subject area you cover is tailored towards jobs available in the industry to make sure you get the best education to progress towards a specialist HND or Degree. All compatible Edinburgh College HND courses have third-year entry to Edinburgh Napier University or Heriot-Watt University. Alternatively, you can apply to a University upon completion of your HNC and gain entry to the first year of a university course.
What you will learn
These subjects include all possible routes and so options will depend on your choices during the course.
- Computer Hardware and Systems
- Operating Systems
- Software Development
- CISCO Networking ICDN1
- Troubleshooting computer problems
- Team working
- Network security concepts
- Ethical hacking
- Linux cmd
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and multiple-choice tests
- The Graded Unit for year one is an exam
Number of days per week
- Approximately 18 hours per week of class contact time. We endeavour to timetable this in as few days as possible, usually 3.
However, the course is demanding and assignments and projects will be set for you to complete in your own time and so it is recommended that you can dedicate 5 days per week to this course.
- For school leavers: Three Highers at C pass to include one of, Mathematics, Computing, or a Science subject.
- SCQF Level 6 course Computing qualification
All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be asked to complete a screening exercise online to assess your skills.
- You may be invited for a further interview with a lecturer if we want to speak to you about your skis and experience
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progression to an HND year 2 Networking or BEng Cyber security Networks and Systems at the college or at Napier University with a B in your graded unit.
- After one year with the college, you could progress on to various Computing University degree courses with year one or year two entry depending on the course.
- Employment in a wide range of posts in the IT and computing industry
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.