HNC Financial Services
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Edinburgh is the largest Financial centre in Scotland, which offers various employment opportunites within the Business and Finance world. The HNC is designed to provide our learners with the key competencies required to enter the world of Financial Services as a trainee.
Our brand new, exciting course, is designed to develop our learners technical skills required to work within the Financial Sector. Our course are delivered face-to-face within the classroom environment to support our learners in engagement. We work with a number of financial partners who deliver sessions within your course to contextualise your experience and bring the course to life.
Throughout the course you will get an insight into the financial institutions and financial markets in the UK and the relationship between these institutions, markets and the customer.
You will learn about the features and use of cash services, savings and lending products offered to personal customers, personal finance protection products, personal investment products and the regulatory environment applicable to personal financial services.
What you will learn
Some of the subjects you will learn are detailed below
- Financial Sector: An Introduction
- Personal Financial Services
- Financial Services Graded Unit
- Communication: Business Communication
- Managing People and Organisations
- Information Technology : Application Software 1
Meta Skills Developed
- Critical thinking
How the course is assessed
Each subject will have different evidence requirements and approaches to assessment.
Some examples are provided below on the methods of assessments:
- Open Book
- Exam – Closed book controlled
- Project-based assessments
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- A minimum of two relevant Highers at Grade C or above and a minimum of four National 5s at Grade C or above in relevant subjects, these must include English or Maths or equivalent; subjects may include Business related subjects, Maths, English, Social and Science based subjects
- Relevant National Qualifications Group Award at SCQF level 6 or above
Candidates will be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be required to attend a group and/or individual information session
- Skills check, this is to ensure you are on the right course
- We will provide you with further information on the course during the information session
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum IELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
HNC can provide progression to degree-level study. For example, the HNC in Finance allows direct entry into the second year of most degree programmes, and allows direct entry to most second year programmes depending on your grades.
Higher National qualifications also provide the knowledge and understanding required for related Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs). For example, SVQ in Business and Administration.
The industry offers employment opportunities in a wide range of areas:
- Building societies
- Pension funds
- Investment companies
- Unit trusts
- Stock market operations
- Life and Pensions
- Asset Management
- Debt Collection
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.