Legal Services HNC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This HNC may be of interest to candidates who are currently working, or wish to work, as a paralegal or pursue a career within the legal sector. This course is also ideal if you wish to progress to University to study law following the completion of an HNC qualification.
The course is delivered face to face in person 3 days per week
If this is not the right mode of study for you then a flexible online learning approach may be more suitable for your current lifestyle. This will only be offered to the most suitable candidates.
This involves lessons being delivered online, with you attending our Sighthill campus very 6 to 8 weeks to undertake assessments. You should have access to a PC, Desktop Computer or tablet if you feel this is the method of study that would be more suited to you
Please indicate in your personal statement which mode of delivery you are interested in.
What you will learn
- Scottish Legal System
- Scots Private Law
- Commercial Law
- Legal Research Techniques
- Scottish Criminal Law
- Scottish Criminal Procedure
- Property Law
- Consumer Law
Meta Skills Developed:
- Critical thinking
How the course is assessed
Each subject will have different evidence requirements and approaches to assessment.
Some examples are provided below on the methods of assessments
- Open Book
- Exam – Close book controlled
- Project-based assessments
Number of days per week
- On campus in person 3 days per week
- Online learning- Mandatory attendance every 6 weeks for classes
- You will be expected to study around a minimum of 16 hrs per week for the online course
- Minimum of two relevant Highers at Grade C or above and a minimum of four National 5s at Grade C or above in relevant subjects, these must include English and Maths or equivalent; subjects may include Business related subjects, Maths, English, RMS. Social and Science based subjects;
Relevant National Qualifications Group Award at SCQF level 6 or above
Candidates will be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be required to attend a group and/or individual information session and/or a skills check
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum IELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Relevant University Degree
Employment opportunities in a variety of administrative roles in Central and Local government in Business or commercial contexts.
- Trainee Paralegal
- Banking and Insurance Sector
- Police Scotland
- Sheriff Court
- Fiscal Office
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.